Happy Salmon Day!

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!!! I know I did. I coaxed my pal Eric into letting me tag along with him on a visit to his Mom in Roseburg, Oregon. It’s about three hours south of Portland.

We left on Wednesday night after work. We were pretty tired when we got there around 1030pm. We hung out with Eric’s mom for a bit, and Robot got acquainted with his new surroundings. Before going to bed, we raided his Mom’s DVD collection and found an old Hitchcock movie from 1934, The Man Who Knew Too Much, that looked promising. It was comically bad. Although, Peter Lorre’s acting technique is, um, interesting and almost makes it worth checking out.

The next morning, we woke up and had coffee and a bite to eat, then went on a little hike up the hill close by. Eric said that it’s somewhat of a deer sanctuary. Robot was so loud that if there were any deer they didn’t stick around for long. We also saw a red-tailed hawk gliding around. It stayed long enough for us to get a really good look at the beautiful markings under its wings. It swooped down on a flock of birds nearby unsuccessfully and then took off.

Eric has informed me that this is an invasive species called “Teasle” http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/diwsi.htm It’s real pretty, but I feel like there is a special place in hell for invasive species because I am a quasi-environmentalist.

Interestingly, there was a little 2 year old boy joining us for dinner (with his Mom, Vicky who was super nice). Robot hated him, expectedly. We knew we would have to leave Robot outside, but Robot is super spoiled in the sense that I have never really locked him outside against his will. He could see the little boy through the glass and just smelled blood. I was sort of scared that with people going in and out of that door, that he would sneak in and maul the child, so I was a bit tense. After about 5 minutes of him barking nonstop at the door, we devised a spray bottle of water. That did the trick. Robot is so well trained with the spray bottle, that after a quick reminder of its powers, I need only say “spraybottle” for him to obey. Then he behaved, and after it got colder we brought him inside and had him sleep in the room I was staying in. Oh the joys of dalmatian ownership.

For dinner, instead of turkey, we had wild salmon. We baked it in the oven with lemon, garlic, olive oil, and dill. Our side dishes were roasted yams and carrots with rosemary and olive oil, swiss chard from the garden sautéed with onions and garlic, some mashed potatoes, and a bottle of bordeaux in teeny glasses. Super amazing!!! It was nice because it took less than an hour to prepare and was crazy delicious.

After dinner we played some board games for a little while. First we played Man Bites Dog. It’s a game where you get cards with words that can make up a zany headline. And then we played some Apples to Apples, which I always lose because I have a twisted sense of humor that most people don’t really get.

Eric just got these new sunglasses/goggles from the German design store near his work downtown. They are really nothing short of awesome. They have mesh on the sides which makes them more like goggles than sunglasses. They really change his whole “look”.

This morning, we woke up at 6:30 to drive back to Portland and both get to work at a decent hour. Around Eugene, my car started making scary vibrating noises. I advised Eric to pull over (he was driving), because I knew I should have checked the oil before I left and it might be critically low. Sure enough, Eric came back from checking it to tell me that there was actually *no oil* on the dipstick. Oh my. Luckily, I had two quarts in my trunk, so we were ok. But I have definitely ruined at least one car by seizing the engine. I’m glad my car gets to live another day.

I went to work today at noon. The day after Thanksgiving is typically slow, because people have not yet bought crap to send out. I spent the last hour at work making a diorama of a fake stage out of cardboard and colored paper to showcase the crazy crap we find in the packing peanuts. I am planning on kick-starting a “tales from the darkside of shipping” blog (I emphasize kick-starting because I have no time to keep it up regularly, and my days are numbered there). I double checked that it was ok to spend my time doing this at work with my boss, and he was all like “Yeah, its work related”. So awesome. After I was done constructing the diorama, he told me that he is really happy that he can pay me for doing this sort of thing. Argh!! If I didn’t hate the actual customer service portion of this job, it would be a contender for best job ever.

End Scene.


About Jennifer

I like fun stuff.
This entry was posted in Adventures, Films, Food, Pacific Northwest and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s